[Community-Discuss] sock puppets (was: Re: Fwd: DEFAMATION AGAINST MR. LU HENG :-/)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Feb 13 03:31:58 UTC 2022

> On Jan 10, 2022, at 11:23 , Omo Oaiya <Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net> wrote:
>

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 at 19:05, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com <mailto:rfg at tristatelogic.com>> wrote:
>
> I would propose that -any- participant on -any- AFRINIC mailing list should
> be permitted to send a private email to postmaster at afrinic.net <mailto:postmaster at afrinic.net> which calls
> into question the legitimacy of any other single participant on any AFRINIC
> mailing list, and that postmaster at afrinic.net <mailto:postmaster at afrinic.net> would then be obliged to make
> appropriate inquiries regarding the reality/legitimacy of that other mailing
> list participant, up to and including requiring a copy of that other participant's
> passport (with photo) or other government-issued identification document, as
> well as a clear and persuasive statement of the basis for that participant's
> interest in AFRINIC-related matters.

Who gets to decide what constitutes a clear and persuasive statement?

Who watches the watchers?

Unless there are a well defined set of objective criteria for this and an appeal process
to the broader community, I think this proposal is seriously flawed and risks even
further distortion of the process, possibly by different participants than are currently
accused of distortion.