[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Afrinic Court Updates

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:19:36 UTC 2021

Hi Paul

> On 30 Nov 2021, at 09:46, Paul Hjul <hjul.paul at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It would help if you know what "ad homimen" meant.
>
> An arguendo ad hominem is a logical fallacy in which an appeal to the attributes of the person is made.

I think you mean “argumentum ad hominem”? If you are going to take this as a teaching moment, maybe you don’t want to expose yourself [through auto-correct or ignorance/arrogance]?

Also worth noting that the argumentum ad hominem is only a fallacy in formal logic. It is quite permissible in informal logic, such as as an argument from authority including testimony and experience.

Even in formal logic, there is a suggestion that argumentum ad hominem have a place in evaluating the authority of the argument by confirming the motivation of the person making it.

Now I wonder what logical fallacy it would be when someone speaks about themselves in the plural, possibly to obscure the fact that their ISP is defunct and its continued need for address space is questionable?

Mike
(CrystalClear his own opinion)