[Community-Discuss] Use of personal data from mailing list for election lobbying (Was: Update on legal case)

Ish Sookun ish at lsldigital.com
Thu Jul 29 08:55:29 UTC 2021

Hi Jordi,

On Thursday, 29 July 2021 11:10:17 +04 JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via Community-
Discuss wrote:

> But the question here is, in the EU, spam by SMS, phone, or *any means* (not

> just email) is against GDPR and many other regulations.

> I'm unsure if the "transposition" of the GDPR in Mauritius is also following

> the same rationale. Can someone confirm?

My understanding of the Data Protection Act (2018) of Mauritius is similar to
what you mentioned above. However, with regards to email related spam, I've
put questions to CERT-MU on multiple occasions in the past, with no answer.

I am looping in Dr. Usmani in this email. He has been a board election
candidate in the past and he is the Assistant Manager of CERT-MU. He can
probably enlighten more on this.

Ish Sookun