[Community-Discuss] Share About Cloud Innovation Ltd and their business

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 29 02:06:17 UTC 2021

> On Jul 28, 2021, at 14:43 , JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via Community-Discuss <community-discuss at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Ronald is very right.

> How that can be possible?

By no longer relevant, I mean it does not apply to the current business environment and business model
under which Cloud Innovation currently operates. Updated information was, per policy, submitted to AFRINIC
as things changed. This is perfectly normal for any ISP or other form of LIR.

> Of course, the original justification is *extremely relevant*. Was it done properly and in good faith?

First: yes. It was proper and in good faith for a business model that was very effective and useful at the time.

> Was it properly checked by the staff? Was the relevant staff doing correctly his/her job?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. To the best of my knowledge at least the last two allocations were also reviewed by the board prior to being issued.

> Is that justification still valid, or if the original intended usage has been changed, has that been reviewed with the staff to ensure compliance with policies and rules?

Cloud Innovation provided updates to AFRINIC about our changing utilization patters in accordance with policy to the best of our knowledge. While we have received indications from staff that they do not consider our updates to be sufficient, we have not, as yet, been able to get any clear indication from staff what the nature of these insufficiencies are and we have been unable to obtain an actionable request from staff that would allow us to provide a more useful answer.

> I could understand that you could change the usage of a small % and it is just fine, but if it is the majority of the allocation, the original documented purpose may not be longer valid.

We agree that the original documented purpose is no longer valid and have, as per policy requirements submitted updated information about the new purpose as each subordinate prefix was repurposed.

I am not personally sure if there are any subordinate prefixes which are still utilized for the original purpose. But I am confident that each of the prefixes which was repurposed was properly updated with AFRINIC as required in policy.

> If I said "I'm going to setup a network connecting 8 million users in a, b and c African countries, please allocate 9 million addresses to me". If then I change my business plan or actually *never* setup this network, the original documentation provided to justify the allocation, is not valid. Otherwise, every AFRINIC member could do the same, just to circumvent the rules!

Sure, but if you said I’m going to provide addresses to number more than 6,000,000 hosts on our own and our customers networks, please give me 6,000,000 addresses in 2013 and 2014 (and we did this in the form of 4 sequential requests as utilization increased), and you can show that the networks were actually built out at each phase and you can show that the addresses are still utilized in a manner consistent with that description, then there’s no valid basis for reclamation.

> Note that my comments are *in general* not just for CI or whatever is the AFRINIC member name or the number of allocated/assigned addresses.

Fair enough. My comments are specific to CI because that is the specific case that I know and which seems to be the subject of this conversation.

> We need to be crystal clear and transparent: If we want that the documented purposes for any member can change without a re-check, then it is open to all kind of cheating and I don't think the community adopted such rules. To allow that, we will need to agree, via the PDP on that.

It did not change without a re-check. It changed over time on multiple prefixes and was visible to AFRINIC staff for changes beginning in 2016.

The first indication we ever received that anything was not considered valid in this process came in the latter half of 2020. This is all documented in the timeline we posted to community-discuss several days back.

Owen