[Community-Discuss] Share About Cloud Innovation Ltd and their business

Lili Au au8692936 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 09:42:45 UTC 2021

A funny discussion. Anyway, I saw many LOA that is CI authorise LARUS ( a Hong Kong company too) then LARUS authorise to their clients. Leo is correct.

> Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz>於2021年7月27日 15:32寫道:

> Hi,

> did any of those make any commitment like "we are using these to connect

> our customers in Africa" ?

> Did CI?

> Thanks,

> Frank

> PS: I count connectivity to a VM hosted by CI as ok, but not leasing

> just the IP to an entity without providing them any connectivity.

>> On 27/07/2021 08:24, Owen DeLong via Community-Discuss wrote:

>> If you think this is a shocking amount of address space, please consider

>> the amount of space

>> held by:

>> Non-LIRs (end users):

>> Hewlett Packard

>> Apple Computer

>> Unclear whether to classify as LIR or not:

>> Amateur Radio (AMPR)

>> LIRs:

>> XFINITY/Comcast

>> Verizon

>> Akamai

>> XO Communications

>> Amazon

>> Microsoft

>> Google

>> etc.

>> The equivalent of 1.5 /10s (75% of a /9) is far less than any of the

>> above organizations.

>> Owen

>>> On Jul 26, 2021, at 01:11 , Leo S <leoso at afcast.com

>>> <mailto:leoso at afcast.com>> wrote:

>>> Hi Ronald

>>> Maybe your number is correct, whether it is 6.3M or 7M,This is a

>>> shocking number for everyone especially in 201x such a large block

>>> allocated. This is not in 199x year.

>>> On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 4:25 AM Ronald F. Guilmette

>>> <rfg at tristatelogic.com <mailto:rfg at tristatelogic.com>> wrote:

>>> In message

>>> <CALm9Cbn+R9oen9+9YBjfbK5gGTcmEmZ1yhxgDfw04OTC3MxeZg at mail.gmail.com <mailto:CALm9Cbn%2BR9oen9%2B9YBjfbK5gGTcmEmZ1yhxgDfw04OTC3MxeZg at mail.gmail.com>>

>>> Meriem Dayday <meriemdayday at gmail.com

>>> No, actually, it isn't.

>>> The information about how Cloud Innovation is presently making use of

>>> it's assigned 6,291,456 AFRINIC-administered IPv4 addresses is

>>> effectively

>>> public information, and it is not difficult to derive from any

>>> number of

>>> public sources (e.g. RIPEStat, bgp.he.net <http://bgp.he.net/>, etc.)

>>> If you lived in the time of Galileo Galilei, would you consider it an

>>> affront to public decency if some people elected to look through the

>>> telescope and then just describe what they saw? And if so, then what

>>> is next? Book burning?

>>> consent is a

>>> OK, let's parse that statement, because it conjoins two different

>>> obvious

>>> logical problems.

>>> First, the Internet is *not* a private network. Fact's about what

>>> various

>>> companies are doing on the Internet are possible to see, and to learn,

>>> without needing the consent of the companies inolved. That is the

>>> nature

>>> of the Internet. If you want to run your own closed private intranet,

>>> then go head. Nobody will stop you and you can then keep every last

>>> detail of your corporate operations utterly secret. But the

>>> minute any

>>> company obtains Internet number resources and starts using those, it

>>> *voluntarily* gives up some of its corporate secrecy in exchange

>>> for being

>>> a part of, and a participant on this great communications

>>> experiment we

>>> call the Internet.

>>> I personally am not now, and never have been a customer of Cloud

>>> Innovation.

>>> And yet even well before today I already determined for myself

>>> that well

>>> more that 90% of Cloud Innovation's assigned AFRINIC-administered IPv4

>>> address space was being deployed to other continents. This is not

>>> a state

>>> secret by any means, and the information may be derived from 100%

>>> public

>>> sources. Anyone clever enough to seek it out will find the same

>>> information.

>>> Whether the manner in which Cloud Innovation is using/deploying its

>>> assigned number resources does or does not comport with its specific

>>> RSA and/or with community approved regulations is a separate question,

>>> and one which I myself do not have an answer to. In any case, the

>>> courts will sort out those questions in due course, I imagine.

>>> But the

>>> mere facts of how Cloud Innovation has deployed its AFRINIC-assigned

>>> resources, or how it would appear to make money, based on the

>>> available

>>> public evidence, are *not* corporate secrets. Any attempt to portray

>>> them as such is just an attempt at heavy-handed censorship.

>>> The second logical problem with the statement above is contained

>>> in the

>>> part that says "... attempt of defamation and can have legal

>>> consequences

>>> on the concerned person."

>>> Exactly so! If the guy who posted the material you are reacting

>>> to was

>>> willing to take the legal risk to post that material, IN SPITE OF the

>>> possibility that he could, at least in theory, be sued for defamation,

>>> then why are YOU worried about it? Why should AFRINIC be worried

>>> about

>>> it? Obviously, this (theoretical) possibility of a defemation lawsuit

>>> is only a problem for the guy who posted the (allegedly) defamatory

>>> text, and he obviiously was willing to take the risk in order to

>>> express

>>> his opinion, SO WHAT IS THAT TO YOU?

>>> Here again, shouting down in the original poster in this manner

>>> appears

>>> to me to be just another a heavy-handed attempt at pointless

>>> censorship.

>>> I hope that we here can all have open and frank discusions of all

>>> of the

>>> issues now of concern to AFRINIC without these kinds of attempts to

>>> muzzle dissenting viewpoints based on perfectly silly arguments.

>>> Regards,

>>> rfg