[Community-Discuss] Breach of the Code of Conduct by Mr Ronald Guilmette

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 10:52:46 UTC 2021

Jordi, Mike and the Community,

I do not agree with removing what has been posted. Any discerning and
objective mind can follow the thread.

I am in support of moderation, as a means of ensuring that the community
mailing list stays useful and does not spiral out of control.

I think it was Pirelli (the Tyre maker) that said ... "Power is nothing,
without Control".

We all have the right grammatical constructs to seed "appropriate
mis-behavior" in others, but we also understand that discretion is the
greater part of valor.

Sunday.

On 2/24/21 11:36 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via Community-Discuss wrote:

> Hi Mike,

> I'm fully aware of that, but is not AFRINIC who is making those comments, neither the staff, or the Board.

> It is an individual, not legally bound to AFRINIC (organization).

> If there is any remote chance that the Mauritius Courts take that to influence their decision or make AFRINIC liable, then *definitively* Mauritius is the wrong place to establish a RIR. I'm not saying this is that case, but if the staff believes so, then we have a big problem.

> Note that Ron (or anyone) can make the same or worst criticism to the Mauritius Courts, and do it outside of AFRINIC mailing list, but still visible for the courts, and still citing AFRINIC, etc., etc. That's not making *any* difference versus doing it in the community-discuss mailing list.

> There are two aspects here: moderation, which seems to be decided based on continuous untampered language, and I may agree with that, up to a certain point AND censorship of the message. This is ABSOLUTELY UNNAPROPRIATE for any RIR to do so. The community need to think about that, and we must decide if we want to keep trusting AFRINIC for holding our discussion mailing lists. What may be the next censored message?

> Do we want our discussions to be censored at all?

> Note also that censoring is bad in case somebody is committing any illegal action and it is visible in the list, because then you may not be able use the list as a demonstration for that.

> All our discussions, if we keep the neutral, open and transparent "tagging", MUST BE ARCHIVED AND NEVER CENSORED.

> Regards,

> Jordi

> @jordipalet

> El 24/2/21 11:27, "Mike Silber" <silber.mike at gmail.com> escribió:

> Hi Jordi

> Trying to be objective here.

> > On 24 Feb 2021, at 11:49, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via Community-Discuss <community-discuss at afrinic.net> wrote:

> > Because it is clear everywhere that the comment about the Court is from Ron, and not anyone else, and even less from AFRINIC, the Court can't take any actions against AFRINIC and if that happens, even if we only suspect that is happening, then AFRINIC will be better established in another country that respects our open and transparent culture, because we can't "live" in a country with Courts that may be taking arbitrary decisions or based in personal comments from others. Even more, if that's the case, then the mailing list can be just hosted somewhere else and maintained by a more neutral organization, in a more neutral country. There are many options here.

> > With all the respect, in my opinion this consideration from the Communications and PR Team is beyond their scope and totally exaggerated. To be clear, I'm talking about the specific paragraph about the Mauritius Court.

> AfriNIC is domiciled in Mauritius and a party to a case before the Mauritian High Court.

> [...]

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
Managing Director
General data Engineering Services (SKANNET)
16 Oshin Road, Kongi Bodija, Ibadan - Nigeria
Phone: +234 802 291 2202, +234 816 866 7523
Email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng, sfolayan at gmail.com