[Community-Discuss] Breach of the Code of Conduct by Mr Ronald Guilmette

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed Feb 24 09:49:35 UTC 2021

Hi Sunday, all,

While I understand your point, we also need to understand that the Internet communities are multicultural and we should not ban someone because is language is not up to anyone local culture.

I fully agree that sometimes, the way some of us (and I'm including myself here) speak in mails may look offensive, but is not necessarily the intend (with the exceptions of very clear "ad hominem"). I may look sometimes very "abrupt" in my emails, and is not an attack to anyone, is our different way to speak and express, what should matter is the real intent: not just complaining about the problems or issues that affect this community but also trying to make our best to resolve them, and if that means thinking loud, without a clear personal attack to anyone, it must be just fine.

Note that I'm not defending Ron here, I know him just because email exchange and we had once a skype chat, if I recall correctly, so I know him even less than many folks that we met often in AFRINIC or other RIR meetings.

I'm speaking "in general", and for that, I'm using also my previous experience as almost 12 years as sergeant-at-arms in IETF (RFC3005), when I needed to take difficult decisions with several people across those years, and always trying to understand their own cultural backgrounds.

Now, speaking about this specific action. There is something called freedom of expression. If someone believes that a Court, never mind is a Court, is making things wrong, it is perfectly licit to say it with total freedom. If the Court believes that that person is acting against the Court, is up to the Court to take actions against that person, not this community. As Sunday said, if you don't like that way of expressing himself, you can just ignore his emails.

Because it is clear everywhere that the comment about the Court is from Ron, and not anyone else, and even less from AFRINIC, the Court can't take any actions against AFRINIC and if that happens, even if we only suspect that is happening, then AFRINIC will be better established in another country that respects our open and transparent culture, because we can't "live" in a country with Courts that may be taking arbitrary decisions or based in personal comments from others. Even more, if that's the case, then the mailing list can be just hosted somewhere else and maintained by a more neutral organization, in a more neutral country. There are many options here.

With all the respect, in my opinion this consideration from the Communications and PR Team is beyond their scope and totally exaggerated. To be clear, I'm talking about the specific paragraph about the Mauritius Court.

Just as an example, if we discuss in the list and criticize the Mauritius Government if the cut Internet for political reasons, should be that disallowed and censored in the list? What if it happens with any other Government in Africa or in any other side of the world, affecting this community? Can you see how ridiculous is doing that in our open and transparent context?

Moreover, removing any posting from the mailing list archives is a clear attack to this community. This is called censorship. If AFRINIC, as an organization, is providing the service, it must be an open and transparent service, and that includes not making any kind of censorship.

Moderating someone for a specific time, because he is committing "ad hominem", is fine and necessary in my opinion, but not censorship. Otherwise, we are not any longer respecting the open and transparent community that we are supporting and voicing over all the time "we allow you to say whatever you want, but if that's not good in our perspective, we will delete it". Is that making sense?

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet