[Community-Discuss] Usecases for Private Use of INRs (was: Blog: A Comprehensive audit of the AFRINIC WHOIS Database)

Sylvain BAYA abscoco at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 05:36:17 UTC 2021

Dear Community,
Hope you are safe and well!

Please see my comments below (inline). ..

Le mar. 16 févr. 2021 01:03, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> a écrit :

> > On Feb 15, 2021, at 15:55 , Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>

> wrote:

> > [...]

> > See RFC1918 for further information.

> [...]

> Long standing RIR policy specifically calls these applications out as

> legitimate in multiple regions.

> (I’m not sure about AFRINIC, TBH, I’d have to review the CPM to look for

> it).

...brother see here [1] please:

~°~
11.2 Distinction between IXP peering and management networks

We distinguish between two kinds of IP number resources needed and used at
IXPs.

An IXP peering LAN is the contiguous network address block that the IXP
would use to assign unique IP addresses to each peering member, for each
peering participant to exchange network traffic across the shared peering
infrastructure. *Best practice has the IXP peering LAN not being visible in
a view of the global routing table*, among other things *to reduce the
attack vectors* for ISP border routers via the IXP.
~°~

Hope this helps.
__
[1]: CPM section 11.2
<https://afrinic.net/cpm-1-6#Resource-Reservations-IXPa>

Question: what are the other relevant usecases?

Thanks.

Blessed tuesday!

Shalom,
--sb.

--
p≡p (pretty Easy privacy) - ...trying :-)