[Community-Discuss] Blog: A Comprehensive audit of the AFRINIC WHOIS Database

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sun Feb 14 20:26:23 UTC 2021

On 13/02/2021 14:58, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <56FF34F4-04C8-48F3-BFC6-699669F55CD2 at delong.com>,

> Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> However, unannounced legacy resources are mostly in an unknown state of

>> utilization and it is essentially impossible to determine whether or not

>> they are actually in use.

> I only wish that I had the first clue about what you are going on about

> here Owen.

> If a tree falls in the forest, and if it is not routed on the public

> Internet, then why should I or anybody else give a damn about what

> you do in the privacy of your own intranet? Your private intranet

> and what you do on it is of no concern whatsoever to the actual

> Internet community. Nor does the administration of publicly routable

> IP addresses by the various RIRs have any bearing on what you elect

> to do on your own private intranet.

Hi Ronald,
I don't think it works like this.
Consider this:
There's an organisation headquartered in a building with 5 corners in
Arlington Virginia, about 23.9 miles (drive) from ARIN HQ (says Google
maps).
Let's call them "DOD".
They have legacy IP space and are not advertising some of it to the
public internet. [1]

If you go and tell ARIN you don't "give a damn" and ask ARIN they should
assign/allocate this to other deserving recipients, I believe the answer
will be a better formulation of "Hell NO".
But I don't want to talk for ARIN.

I think that's an example of what Owen talked about.
But hell, I also don't want to talk for Owen.

Frank

[1]
they might be using some of that "internally"