[Community-Discuss] Blog: A Comprehensive audit of the AFRINIC WHOIS Database

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:15:37 UTC 2021

On 2/11/21 12:02 PM, Noah wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2021, 13:57 Sunday Folayan, <sfolayan at gmail.com

> <mailto:sfolayan at gmail.com>> wrote:

> From the report ...

> * Our current business rules now provide better support to

> legacy resource holders such that proper verification for

> legacy resources holders will be conducted before any updates

> are made to the records on the AFRINIC WHOIS database.

> It is important to quickly address why legacy holders should

> continue to get **ANY** service from AFRINIC without any form of

> contract, agreement, relationship or association.

> That is another important discussion which can be addressed by the PDWG.

> Most importantly, the community needs to decide on what AFRINIC must

> do with idle legacy space include the recently recovered numbers.

Noah,

There is an hierarchy regarding the legacy space:

1. Legacy Space as a whole

2. Idle Legacy Space [There are indeed legacy spaces in use, and not idle]

3. Hijacked and now recovered Idle legacy Space. [There are some legacy
spaces that can never be reclaimed by their initial allotees, probably
because they are out of business, and there is no successor organization]

I presume you are talking about 2 and 3. I am talking about 1.

Perhaps we should look at addressing 1, 2, & 3.

Sunday.