[Community-Discuss] FUNDRAISING & DONATIONS - TO KEEP AFRINIC RUNNING

Anthony Ubah ubah.tonyiyke at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 22:40:55 UTC 2021

Hello Amadu Yusif,

I do not think it is wise to ignore the rot and inadequacies pointed out
on the system within AFRINIC.
While I am in support of AFRINIC and the support initiated (in line with
Dewole Ajao's propositions refund donors as prorated fees for resources
owned and services),
Terming opposition doomsday prophecy is a pithole we should be extremely
cautious of in this situation, as the bandwagon and Yesman situation will
be digging our own graves.

To add to this I would like to bring a few questions forward on this
"FUNDRAISING & DONATION" initiative, it is not without it's heavy risks and
complexities;
1. Did you know that doing this Fundraiser can drive this RIR into the
mercy of some individual/resource owners with huge donations?. This be a
Catch-22 situation, and trigger a chain of similar crises?
[If a resource owner has generously contributed to bailing out afrinic in
its own mess today, can Afrinic still wield the power to administer over
there resources, if the same scenario where AFRINIC is required to reclaim
such resources.]
2. How can the integrity of the personas generously funding AFRINIC be
vetted?
3. Is there a cap on donations?
4. Will this be an avenue to launder funds? What is the check in place for
this?
5.Why is the funding initiative not out of Mauritius, where the same legal
system can call into play on the administration of these funds.

I'm sure the list can go on.

*Best Regards,*

*Anthony Ubah*