[Community-Discuss] NRO MoU section 9. Advisory Appeals Process (was: ICANN ( NRO ) vs LARUS (NRA))

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Aug 5 17:28:18 UTC 2021

On 5 Aug 2021, at 10:26 AM, Sylvain Baya <abscoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for pointing it out.

> It's really appreciated :-)

> ...i really missed it, at first sight :'-(

> Then, imho, there are two possible successive

> actions:

> ~°~

> 1. Submit a gDPP (global Draft Policy Proposal) [*]

> 2. Submit a DPP [**]

> 3. any other?

> ~°~

> __

> [*]: The gDPP shall propose a wording to extend

> the mandate of the NRO Advisory Panel.

> [**]: The DPP shall direct to the NRO Advisory

> Panel in case of disagreement between AfriNIC

> and its Local LIR.

> ...i hope this makes sense :-/

> But let me know, please.

Sylvain -

I believe that you are asking how should disputes between an RIR and their LIR customer be handled, and should there be global panel for this purpose for all RIRs?

I have no idea regarding the appropriate answer on dispute resolution in the AFRINIC region - that is truly a matter for this community to consider and arrive an an appropriate outcome. I do know that in the ARIN region we have a formal appeal process, and then binding arbitration if it proves necessary. I imagine that others RIRs have their own processes in this regard, but offhand I am not familiar with them.

Regarding having a global panel for this purpose, it’s unclear what benefit would achieved in addressing issues of a single RIR scope via a mechanism of global composition - that’s not likely to scale well and would exhibit more uncertainty in outcome compared to having such processes within the region. It is my personal view that you (this collective community) are AFRINIC, and working to strengthen & instill faith in AFRINIC would appear the most direct path to both avoiding disputes and resolving those that do arise from time to time.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO