[Community-Discuss] South Africa ISPA Statement on Recent AFRINIC developments

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 4 08:01:23 UTC 2021

> On Aug 3, 2021, at 23:33 , Ish Sookun <ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu> wrote:

> Owen, as per Patrice's reply, you did not say that Cloud Innovation Ltd is

> your client. You said it is one of your company's client. Your company name

> and affiliation is not mentioned in the article.

Technically, Cloud Innovation is one of my company’s clients. My company is
a one-man consulting company, so I make little distinction between my company’s
clients and “my client’s”.

> Yes, you can again blame it on the journalist. That's very easy to do.

I don’t really think there’s a need for balm at all.

> However, you could have simply been true & honest by giving the information

> upfront and clearly instructing Patrice that your affiliation be mentioned in

> the article for transparency sake. Even if he missed it, you could have asked

> for correction/update after you read the article.

There are all kinds of things anyone can do. Whether or not it’s what I should have
done, meh, I’m not convinced. I don’t normally announce all my clients when talking
to a journalist (or anyone else for that matter). It’s not like anyone here doesn’t know my affiliation.

Those who are determined to fined fault with my actions will do so whether there is
fault to be found or not.