[Community-Discuss] ICANN ( NRO ) vs LARUS (NRA)

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 13:49:24 UTC 2021

Hi Sylvain

I respectfully disagree.

ICANN is a convenience through which the RIR’s operate.

The rest of the NRO recognised AfriNIC and could have done so without ICANN involvement - had they so chosen.

As it is - the NRO fulfils the role of ASO within ICANN and it could terminate the ASO / NRO nexus at any time with little to no impact.

Did you miss this in RFC 7020:

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) *is a role, not an
organization*. For the Internet Numbers Registry System, the IANA
role manages the top of the IP address and AS number allocation
hierarchies. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
Numbers (ICANN) *currently fulfills the IANA role" in accordance
with the IETF-ICANN "Memorandum of Understanding Concerning
Technical Work of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority", which
was signed and ratified in March 2000

It is the RIRs who chose ICANN and not the other way around.

Mike