[Community-Discuss] Call for AFRINIC’s registry service migration to other RIRs

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Sun Aug 1 16:25:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

first the part from the end that prompted me to respond...

> .... In fact I find the amount of legal posturing on this

> list to be nothing short of bizarre - let the courts do their work -

^^^^ - how dare you use the singular????
I expected 2 lists, but then saw many more (which I'm not subscribed
to). And I've seen where this was introduced - Thanks Paul!

On 01/08/2021 15:38, Andrew Alston via Community-Discuss wrote:

> It is my (personal) view that AfriNIC board should exercise their powers

> and pass a transfer policy.

One version to achieve that result already exists, though in 2 steps:
- get new IPs elsewhere - [1]
- return your current resources to AfriNIC
It's possible, I've done that.

> It is entirely within the boards powers to pass emergency policy which

> the community can revoke at the next pdp should they wish to do so - and

> if AfriNIC has the support claimed by members of this list there is

> absolutely zero risk in this approach.

After all the good things certain members have done, the board really
should consider returning a favour or two.
</sarcasm^2>

> Furthermore - such an approach would also remove the possibility of

> other legal action which may be taken against them on grounds removed

> from the current legal situation

If memory serves me right, while you were on the board you were talking
about "fiduciary duty" and that's when i first heard the expression.

> I remind everyone that AfriNIC has a duty to act in the interests of its

> members - and AfriNIC has repeatedly stated in the press - and has been

> echoed by various ISP associations that there is risk here -

.. in my humble opinion the risk is brought by the initiator of the
legal proceedings.
And yes, I also have this minor disagreement with Owen that leasing
space was permitted - or not. And I agree we let someone else conclude this.

Frank

[1]
seems my google-foo is with me today:
https://www.ripe.net/manage-ips-and-asns/resource-transfers-and-mergers/brokers