[Community-Discuss] Yet more data base problems/inconsistancies

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Nov 30 02:48:03 UTC 2020

In message <20201130013319.xddpolsgaynzlza6 at benm-laptop>,
Ben Maddison <benm at workonline.africa> wrote:

>This seems fairly clear, to me at least, that having delegations at the

>same authoritative nameserver for a subdomain and a

>subdomain-of-a-subdomain is problematic.

I don't see that.

>Consider:

>ns-a delegates foo.example.com to ns-b

> and bar.foo.example.com to ns-c

>ns-b delegates bar.foo.example.com to ns-d

>Who is authoritative for host.bar.foo.example.com?

My understanding is that the delegation of DNS authority works a lot
like routing, i.e. in any case where two or more DNS authority delegations
-could- theoretically be applicable, the most specific DNS delegation wins.

Of course, if there are ties, where each of two or more delegations are
equally specific, then that's problematic. But I don't think we are
discussing such cases at the moment.

I freely admit that I may perhaps not be on entirely solid ground when
it comes to this "most specific wins" rule, but I do believe that's how
DNS works. If I am wrong about that, I will be happy to be corrected.

Regards,
rfg