[Community-Discuss] Questions

S. Moonesamy sm+af at afrinic.net
Thu Dec 24 03:21:41 UTC 2020

Dear Mr Guilmette,
At 01:09 PM 23-12-2020, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

>I thank "S. Moonesamy" <sm+af at afrinic.net> for at least attempting

>to make some pretense of addressing this issue, which I have raised,

>however it is easy to demonstrate that this response is silly in the

>extreme.

It is hasty to conclude that I consider the issue as addressed.

>Apparently the "applicable" Mauritian law DOES NOT prevent AFRINIC

>from publishing, via its traditional port 43 WHOIS service, the names,

>addresses, and phone numbers (PII) associated with person: records

>that are currently present in the data base... a fact that anyone

>can easily verify just by querying the WHOIS for the handle associated

>with any person: record.

The above description is simplistic. One of the
purposes of Whois is to facilitate network
operations. The "person" record for AS33764 is:

person: CTO AFRINIC
address: 11th Floor, Standard Chartered Tower
address: Cybercity, Ebène
address: Mauritius
phone: tel:+230-403-5100
nic-hdl: CA15-AFRINIC
mnt-by: CTO-MNT
source: AFRINIC # Filtered

I doubt that there is a person with that
name. The "address" is a business address. The
"phone" is not a personal phone number.

>Despite this obvious fact, the community is asked to believe that somehow,

>magically, Mauritian law DOES prevent AFRINIC from providing this same

>data to qualified and well-vetted researchers if the data from two or

>more person: records is provided at the same time (bulk) or if the

>data associated with a person: record that was removed fom the data base

>last week (historical) is provided.

>These alleged constraints, which allegedly spring from Mauritian law,

>are in fact just ridiculous double-talk, made up within the minds of

>S. Moonesamy and others within the current AFRINIC hierarchy, who are

>just simply searching for some vaguely plausible excuse to prevent

>any independent investigators, such as myself, from finding the whole

>truth of what has happened in the data base, over time.

>There is no basis in law for this. AFRINIC and S. Moonesamy are simply

>stonewalling.

What is the basis in law which permits a researcher to access the date in bulk?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

Board Chair, AFRINIC