[Community-Discuss] [afnog] Updates on the misappropriation of IPv4 resources

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Dec 23 22:10:59 UTC 2020

Let me begin by saying that I have only just been informed that there is
some connection between Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> and SEACOM. My apologies
to him. If I had known of that connection, I might have raised the
issus of the Ugandan bogons with him privately. But since this is
now a matter of public discussion, I will respond publicly.

In message <CAEqgTWYkmfxtk--OcCxaX32gRcp_DeOQzB8SDAM5jtdDHEsbXA at mail.gmail.com>
Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>Actually those prefixes on the link above are being originated by

>ITC AS26754 and announced by two different upstream providers.

That is 100% correct. So SEACOM is certainly -not- the only network
that is doing something wrong here.

The real problem is that *nobody* should be peering with AS26754 which
is a bogon ASN that was previously registered (or stolen) by Ernest
Byaruhanga. Quite obviously, AFRINIC staff already realized that some
time ago and they then appropriately de-registered AS26754 and returned
that AS number to the free pool. Thus, AS26754 has been a "bogon" ASN
for some time now.

So the question must be asked: Why is AS37100 (or anybody else) still
peering with the bogon AS26754?

That should not be happening.

Regards,
rfg

P.S. I am greatly looking forward to more widespread adoption of RPKI
which may reduce some of these kinds of problems.