[Community-Discuss] Questions to Board candidates for Seat 3

S Moonesamy sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed Aug 26 10:58:52 UTC 2020

Dear Mr Sookun,
At 01:06 AM 26-08-2020, Ish Sookun wrote:

>Congratulations on your nominations for the AFRINIC Board elections candidacy.

Thank you.

>As you both are running for Seat 3, i.e the Indian Ocean, I have a

>few questions for you that as a community member I would appreciate your views.

>What are your views on the involvement of young people from the

>Indian Ocean, particularly Mauritius, in the policy discussions

>related to the Internet?

The number of younger people residing in the Indian Ocean sub-region
who participate in discussions related to number resources is quite
low. My opinion is based on the substantive comments posted to the
RPD mailing list [1] instead of the number of messages posted by the
persons. As for the involvement of younger people from Mauritius,
there is only one person who has participated in the discussions
since the beginning of this year.

>What are your views on the AFRINIC Fellowship programme? Do you

>think it could be improved, if yes, how?

The Fellowship programme provides an opportunity for people in this
service region to attend an Afrinic meeting if they do not have the
means to do so. The objective of the programme and the expected
result(s) could be improved. The "how" is about execution and that
is usually not done at Board level.

>Have you ever had policy related conversations with AFRINIC Fellows?

I had a few informal conversations with Afrinic fellows over the past
three years. I remember an this impromptu session in Senegal in
which an ICANN researcher discussed IPv6 with the fellows. I also
participated in a newcomers session in Tunisia which was led by one
of the PDWG co-Chairs. There was this interesting discussion about
why one of the principles of the PDP is about "transparency".

Regards,
S. Moonesamy