[Community-Discuss] AFRINC being sued

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 20 16:07:26 UTC 2020

> On Aug 20, 2020, at 01:58 , Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:

> Hi Jordi,

> So, again you’re making suppositions.

> Firstly – you are assuming that the people who had their space transferred out from under them would have received any notification whatsoever if this was a database modification – there is no guarantee of that.

> Secondly – you are neglecting the fact that legacy resources are not bound by the same policies and rules and never have been. The logic in this is pretty simple really. Legacy resources were transferred into AfriNIC from other RIR’s. This was done without the willing consent of the holders of said space, and therefore, at least my understanding of this is, you cannot impose the rules of a new organization on someone who had their space transferred to AfriNIC without their willing agreement. To do so would almost certainly be open to challenge, since you are binding someone to a contract that they never agreed to be bound to.

This gets tricky… In theory, AfriNIC is a successor in interest to the contract with the prior registries. Where this is a problem is in that there is no actual contract, only a somewhat implied contract which gets even trickier because the implied contract mutated over time and so virtually every legacy holder has a different idea of what that is.

OTOH, one can also argue that AFRINIC has no obligation to honor a contract with a legacy resource holder since AFRINIC didn’t enter into any sort of contract with said legacy holder, either. IP addresses are integers, not property. AFRINIC technically doesn’t hand out IP Addresses, it records registrations associating numbers to organizations in order to help insure uniqueness within a certain boundary. That boundary is the set of organizations cooperating with the RIR system for internet addressing.

Any organization can use any address it wants on any network that will accept their use. There is no force of law or regulation in most jurisdictions that will prevent this. The accepted norm of treating the RIR databases as authoritative and cooperating with them is a functional expedient and nothing more. It would be destructive to the internet and to the RIR system in general if the RIRs were to start arbitrarily deleting legacy registrations, so I think it very unlikely that they would do so. However, to argue that they have a contractual obligation not to do so is an interesting perspective given the lack of contract you describe above.

> Hence – if the space is legacy – and they chose not to update the database – no they are NOT in violation – because the rules are different when it comes to this space.

From the very earliest days, updating the database was a requirement of receiving an address registration. It may not have been spelled out explicitly in a contract, but it was certainly an expected norm of behavior at least.

Owen