[Community-Discuss] Monthly Update 3

ABDULKARIM AYOPO OLOYEDE oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng
Mon Apr 20 12:22:44 UTC 2020

Dear Eddy,
Thank you for your wonderful update. Yes, it a challenging period and I
hope and pray that we would come out of this stronger as a community.
Against the backdrop of the current Pandemic, the internet
infrastructure have become even more important as many businesses have
switched to online services. It would be interesting to know how this
change has affected AFRINIC and its membership and if need be, the measures
put in place to accommodate such. In addition, it would be good to know
which of the services are difficult to render when staffs are working from
home so that as a community we do not overburden them.
Secondly, this pandemic has shown us a lot that we didn't know about
ourselves and it has affected a lot of African communities but the truth is
the curve has not yet flatened especially in Africa. One of the major
changes is working from home which is not common to us as Africans. I
think AFRINIC should organise something along this line. In helping the
community to understand and adapt to the new reality which is working from
home.
Thanks
AK

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 10:10 AM Eddy Kayihura <eddy at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,

> I hope you, your family and friends are safe.

> Apologies for the delay in sending you this monthly communication that I

> generally send out in the second week of every month.

> In the past few weeks, we have witnessed a number of changes in the way we

> operate given the lockdowns in many part of the world, including Africa. I

> am sure we will come out of this crisis stronger and better as we reflect

> on how to improve and better our communities.

> We have not been spared the shocks either. Like many organisations around

> the world, we have adopted the “Work from Home” culture as part of dealing

> with the current situation. Accordingly, although we have not failed to

> comply with our Service Level Commitment (SLC) in general, we seek your

> indulgence and understanding in case we do.

> Some of the key things that have happened since my last communication are:

> · AIRRS:

> We launched the Africa Internet Registry and Routing Statistics (AIRRS)

> portal (https://airrs.afrinic.net). The portal provides easy access to

> data selected from many sources such as WHOIS, RIPE RIS, RIPE Atlas, and

> more. AIRRS is the result of an inter-RIR collaboration with the RIPE NCC.

> · RRDP:

> AFRINIC now supports the RPKI Repository Delta Protocol (RFC 8182). RRDP

> is an alternative repository access protocol to the existing RSYNC

> repository.

> · IRR integration in MyAFRINIC:

> Members can now view, create, edit or delete their route(6) and as-set

> objects and manage their routing attributes in the aut-num objects - within

> the MyAFRINIC portal. Users can access the IRR interface by logging into

> MyAFRINIC: https://my.afrinic.net/resources/irr/

> · Webinar:

> Besides normal training sessions, our IP Academy organised an interesting

> webinar on Preparing Critical Internet Infrastructure for Black Swan Events

> (Preparing Critical Internet Infrastructure for Black Swan Events).

> · AIS’20

> We are still observing developments globally and in DRC where the Africa

> Internet Summit 2020 was meant to take place. We will keep apprising you of

> the situation.

> Dear Colleagues,

> This COVID-19 situation requires solidarity and effective collaboration

> among multiples stakeholders for us to sustainably win the battle.

> Connectivity is a key component in our ability to adequately respond to the

> crisis. Even though there has been good progress on the continent thus far,

> there is still a lot to do and huge potential to tap into.

> A strong and united AFRINIC community can contribute a lot to the global

> effort. In addition to the ongoing initiatives around building a faster and

> more secure Internet, we are open to suggestions on where and how our

> community can positively contribute to African and global developments and

> [...]

*Dr. Abdulkarim A.Oloyede*.

*-Senior Lecturer, **Department of Telecommunications Science,
University of Ilorin, Nigeria*
*-Post Doctoral Researcher **and Visting Associate Professor
(Rutherford Commonwealth Fellow)**, The University of York, York UK*
*-Vice-Chairman, ITU-D Telecommunications Development Advisory Group
(TDAG), **International Telecommunication Union (ITU)(2017-2021).*
*-Vice Rappattour, ITU-D Study group 2 /Question 5 (2018-2022)*
*-Co-Chair, **AFRINIC Policy Development Working Group (CPWG)(2019-2020)*
*-ALAC member, Internet** Corporation of Assigned Name and Numbers (ICANN)
ATlarge Board Member (ALAC) (2019-2021)*
*Alternative Emails: olouss at yahoo.com <olouss at yahoo.com> OR
aao500 at york.ac.uk <aao500 at york.ac.uk>*

--
Website <http://www.unilorin.edu.ng>, Weekly Bulletin