[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC-31 Meeting

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Wed Nov 20 14:00:40 UTC 2019

Hi Noah,

> Please may we stop the divisive posts. The way I see it, the thread was about a spamming broker. Why then insult an independent unrelated individual. Perhaps stopping these practices will help the community.

The same principle applies: there have been multiple people and organisations who have in the past violated the rules of appropriate behaviour. I agree with Andrew that they should still not be refused access to meetings. But those people should also consider whether it is a good idea to visit a community meeting whose rules they have (in some cases blatantly) violated.

> As repeated many times, our emerging, multicultural community requires care and attention when interacting and dealing with people and above all collective responsibility.

> We have a code of conduct and we expect it to be enforced on the lists and at meetings by people entitled to do so. We may revise the CoC on the go with the end goal of no more CoC as everyone behaves correctly.

Exactly. People who want to come to meetings after they have mended their ways should be able to do so. And those who continue to misbehave should be told to leave as soon as they demonstrate that they haven't learned how to behave properly yet. But those willing to learn and improve their behaviour should be able to do so.

> We will all benefit from leading by example and acting as role models expecially from those who have served in various leadership positions in the past.

I fully agree, and I hope the board will take your advice.

Cheers,
Sander