[Community-Discuss] Operational Matters

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Nov 8 03:54:12 UTC 2019

Mark

Your points are noted. Let me make one or two points clear.

1. There is a clear separation of duties between executive and board. I'm
not suggesting that the Board usurp the role of the CEO. Or vice versa. I'm
simply saying there are issues that the CEO CANNOT purport to speak for the
board. This is basic corporate governance 1o1. For example, if there's an
issue with the NomComm or HR & Governance committee pertaining to the
conduct of a senior executive or the CEO himself, there will be a clear
conflict for the CEO to address such matters.

2. If the community is unclear between the roles of the Board and the CEO
then I suggest that they read up on this and/or Afrinic endeavors to
capacity build the community on the same.

Ooh...About your team at your organization probably not ever hearing from
the board...Well...I can't say much about that coz company cultures are
different. However, let me tell you this:-

A board that is detached from the rest of the organization, seemingly like
they are some demi-gods, is one of the reasons that companies lose their
way..There's a fine balance between 'interference' and 'neglect'. We must
ensure that Afrinic doesn't suffer from this.

One last point. The chairperson of a board is supposed to represent the
board in such matters. Not the CEO. This MUST be made clear. Board matters
are Board matters. He/she is First Among Equals.

Regards

*Ali Hussein*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.