[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC legacy space ownership manipulation

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 08:36:37 UTC 2019

AFRINIC has what is called the "Delegation of Authority". It should be
followed or repealed.

See https://www.afrinic.net/services/1861-2016078,
<https://www.afrinic.net/services/1861-2016078> item 4.0. *Resolution
201607.292*

Sunday.

On 05/11/2019 8:20 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> Thanks, Dewole.

> Perhaps the CEO needs to be given more leeway and authority when

> communicating with the community. I am sure the CEO can use his best

> judgment to determine when any information toward the public needs to

> go by the Board for review.

> I fear that if the CEO needs to run an inordinate amount of

> operational matters via the Board (including communication), fatigue

> will set in and little progress will be made.

> Mark.

> On 5/Nov/19 09:13, Adewole Ajao wrote:

>> Makes sense. Especially on operational and PR issues such as this.

>> Letting the CEO communicate will also reduce the sense of

>> non-responsiveness that members sometimes feel (although it's

>> unavoidable because the board has to convene and agree before any

>> response can be given - even on simple issues whereas the CEO will be

>> able to respond authoritatively to a large extent on behalf of

>> AFRINIC the company).

>> Dewole.

>> On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 8:00 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu

>> <mailto:mark.tinka at seacom.mu>> wrote:

>> Don't know if it's just me, but curious why this update (and the

>> investigations associated with it) are not coming from our CEO.

>> I've consistently said that I feel the AFRINIC Board are too

>> involved in AFRINIC's day-to-day affairs, which, IMHO, need to be

>> managed by the AFRINIC CEO and his team, both in front of and

>> behind the scenes.

>> I am somewhat disturbed that this culture does not appear to have

>> changed even on the back of the appointment of the new CEO.

>> Personally, I'd rather be hearing from the CEO and/or any of his

>> staff, than the Board.

>> Mark.

>> On 4/Nov/19 22:45, Bope Domilongo Christian wrote:

>>> Dear Community at large,

>>> As the community may also, be aware, AFRINIC has attracted some

>>> media coverage relating to suspicious activity in its WHOIS

>>> database primarily a limited section of legacy resources.

On behalf of the Board, I would like to assure both the AFRINIC

>>> membership and the Internet community at large that the Board

>>> has conducted some preliminary assessment of the matter, and

>>> would like to let you know that investigations are progressing

>>> well and will be concluded soon, most likely before or by the

>>> end of the year. We cannot reveal much or go into further

>>> details at this stage as we do not want to jeopardise the

>>> investigations. However, you can rest assured that we will get

>>> to the bottom of the matter. At the same time, we want to ensure

>>> that the rights of any affected parties are respected and

>>> protected as per the law. All said we are keen to ensure the

>>> interests of AFRINIC members are safeguarded as we seek to

>>> maintain stable, reliable and effective management of Internet

>>> resources. Besides, the AFRINIC WHOIS database remains fully

>>> operational with high standards of integrity.

>>> Nevertheless, there is always room for improvement and AFRINIC

>>> operations team is currently reviewing some of the

>>> long-established processes relating to the management of

>>> Internet resources under AFRINIC's ambit. The team is already

>>> implementing some improvement measures at both the

>>> IT Infrastructure and process level. As usual, the AFRINIC

>>> membership will be appropriately apprised of the developments.

>>> Best regards,

>>> Dr Christian D. Bope

>>> Chairman, AFRINIC Board of Directors

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
Managing Director
General data Engineering Services (SKANNET)
16 Oshin Road, Kongi Bodija, Ibadan - Nigeria
Phone: +234 802 291 2202, +234 816 866 7523
Email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng, sfolayan at gmail.com