[Community-Discuss] Internet shutdown in Africa

Ish Sookun ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu
Wed May 1 06:54:04 UTC 2019

Hi SM,

On 5/1/19 8:18 AM, S. Moonesamy wrote:
> In general, "Internet shutdowns" are about social network shutdowns.
> That could fit under the topic of digital rights [1].  In my opinion,
> digital rights are not directly related to what Afrinic Ltd does.  I did
> not understand the following: "take things beyond the mailing list".  Is
> it about Afrinic Ltd talking with government agencies about, for
> example, digital rights?

Blocking access to social networks only would be regarded as a partial
internet shutdown. On the other hand a full internet shutdown would have
socio-economic ramifications. Resource members will be affected.

Yes, AFRINIC could facilitate talks between government agencies, local
groups and other stakeholders about digital rights.

Regards,

Ish Sookun