[Community-Discuss] Internet shutdown in Africa

S. Moonesamy sm+af at afrinic.net
Wed May 1 04:18:32 UTC 2019

Dear Ish,
At 01:01 PM 30-04-2019, Ish Sookun wrote:
>It would be ideal if a discussion could start here and reach people with
>decision-making mandates. At the moment, I do not see anything within
>AFRINIC that could take things beyond the mailing list, except the will
>of people.

Once in a while I attend events where there are
discussions about topics which may be of interest
to Resource Members or the community.  The last
event was about cybersecurity.  There was a
question from a representative of the World Bank
about Information Technology governance in
companies.  From what I recall, I gave a short
response.  A well-established company would
assess the risks of connectivity issues if it
relies on Internet-related services for its day-to-day operations.

In general, "Internet shutdowns" are about social
network shutdowns.  That could fit under the
topic of digital rights [1].  In my opinion,
digital rights are not directly related to what
Afrinic Ltd does.  I did not understand the
following: "take things beyond the mailing
list".  Is it about Afrinic Ltd talking with
government agencies about, for example, digital rights?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. Droits numériques