[Community-Discuss] Announcement for Final Candidate Slate for Open Seat on AFRINIC Governance Committee

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Jun 4 07:34:56 UTC 2019

Saul, you are correct.

However, there is an extension to this – remember – the board appoints the nomcom – they are in effect – a form of board committee.  Furthermore the board approves the slate.  Furthermore – the board are the ones that unilaterally – against many objections on these lists – removed the none of the above option in the election procedure.

Effectively – by what they have done – they have stripped the member base of their rights of self determination and the right to elect their own directors, and where choosing to do so – they can put forward a single candidate – and in effect – unilaterally appoint that candidate.  We do not know if there was more than one nomination – and even if there wasn’t – it still creates an untenable situation – because we have no idea if there was or was not anything done in the background to ensure that situation could occur.

I would argue very strongly that right now – AfriNIC – is in violation of everything that the RIR system stands for – that is – the bottom up – community lead approach – where we are guaranteed the right to elect our own leadership – it has been stripped away – and this – is the final nail in the coffin for anyone who believes the façade that this organization is bottom up under the current board – because it is anything but.

Please note: Since this is very much a member issue – and in the interests of the community – I have copied in the members list into this reply deliberately – it affects both groups.

Thanks

Andrew