[Community-Discuss] Larus foundation fellowship

Arthur Carindal arthur at afrinic.net
Fri Jul 5 06:20:37 UTC 2019

Dear Mr Jehovahseun,

We hope you are doing well.

Following some statements you made in the trail of emails exchanged below, kindly allow us to bring a clarification on these matters.

> Third, you did not include that fact that some of the mentors appointed by AFRInIC are authors of policies and they used the fellows to push their polices and agenda.

If you are referring to Mr Elitcha Komi, please note that this latter was an AFRINIC fellow in 2015. During his fellowship and thereafter, Mr Elitcha Komi, enriched of his experience at AFRINIC Public meeting, has been involved in the PDP (Policy Discussion Process) and had been a co-author of the IPv4 Resources transfer within the AFRINIC Region, which was adopted by the community and being implemented.

As such, AFRINIC considers this achievement as an example of fruitful AFRINIC’s engagement with its community and that is reason Mr Elitcha was appointed returning fellow in 2017 to share his experience with new AFRINIC Fellows.

> Then you never included the fact that Afrinic fellows via the whataps group were told to vote for a particular Candidate as the PDP chair.

There is Whatsapp group for new and Returning Fellows group where they exchange their experiences and opinions on any matter they find relevant. Under no circumstances AFRINIC gave instruction to vote for any candidate or support any policy. Keeping our position of neutrality, we, however, encourage fellows, be they returning or new, to be active and always be constructive on the community discussion mailing lists.

> AFRINIC fellows were used by some to achieve thier aim.

We are not aware of such situations. We will be grateful if you can share more information and evidences so we will take appropriate actions to address same.

> There is a serious need to review how fellows emerge and the criteria used in appointing mentors( A story for another day). Some candidates were provided access to the candidates for the PDP chair under guise of being an ex fellow. Anyway don't let me digress too much the discussion here is about WAFA's conduct and we leave other issues for another day.

Please find below the criteria being used by AFRINIC Fellows Committee to select AFRINIC Returning Fellows.

Be a former AFRINIC fellow (with no limitation)
Be a former returning fellow (with no limitation)
Demonstrate participation on the draft of any policy proposal
Demonstrate participation on the draft on any public comments on any AFRINIC document
Participate remotely and/or live to at least 2 policy meetings after being selected AFRINIC's fellow
Demonstrate clear and referenced contribution toward his country and Africa (a blog would be a good start)
Demonstrate useful contribution and permanent presence on the AFRINIC mailing list
Demonstrate how you shared what you've learnt during the program he has attended
Demonstrate useful contribution over the fellowship social group
Demonstrate willingness to help the fellowship comity over social media and all

However we are open to any suggestions that may help to improve the process.

> Some candidates were provided access to the candidates for the PDP chair under guise of being an ex fellow.

As PDP chair is a position any member of AFRINIC community including AFRINIC fellows may apply for , we encourage any AFRINIC fellow willing to serve this community to apply to any open position at the AFRINIC governance structure.

Thanking you for your cooperation

Best Regards

Arthur Carindal N.

Head of Stakeholder Engagement , AFRINIC Ltd.

t: +230 403 5100 | f: +230 466 6758 | tt: @afrinic | w: www.afrinic.net

facebook.com/afrinic | flickr.com/afrinic | youtube.com/afrinicmedia