[Community-Discuss] [rpd] Lobbying Allegations against Wafa Dahmani

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Fri Jul 5 04:04:10 UTC 2019

Andrew
Yes I will no always read all your emails since they are generally too long and use to many words to make a simple point.
The main issue here is not about the rights of someone lobbying for a particular slate of candidates. But I see an attempt to make a point against an individual who volunteers her time to serve the community.

We all have volunteered including you Andrew as a Board Member. In your time as board members I have searched my archives and I will share the bellow text from one of your emails that came into my inbox back in 2016. Thus my earlier reference of the “Pot calling the Kettle Black”
In my view we need to move away from character attacks and focus on positive aspects of growing and sustaining AfriNIC. The contents of the email bellow were your subjective views and we accepted your view as much as it was far from reality.

Email Authored By Andrew Alston (board member at the time)
Hi All,

I’m going to take a bit of an unusual step for me here, as promised in earlier emails, and I am now ready to officially endorse certain candidates for the AfriNIC elections.

I state openly that I do NOT yet know the entire slate, however, due to time limitations and knowing what I know about the candidates I refer to below, as well as at least some of the candidates running against them (which I have heard from those candidates running directly), I feel I’m in a position to take a strong and unequivocal stance here and am ready to state to the community at large my views on this.

Hence, in the next AfriNIC election, there are three seats open, one independent seat, one north african seat and one west african seat.

On the West African seat, I am endorsing Sunday Folayan. Sunday is the current chair of the AfriNIC board, and despite many trying circumstances in the year and half since he has taken the chair, AfriNIC has made tremendous progress. Indeed, in Pointe Noir we were credited with giving the community transparent information and financials for the first time in 10 years. Sunday and his leadership played a huge part in this and his institutional knowledge and the way he has run the board have been critical to the improved situation we are starting to find ourselves in.

On the North African seat, I am endorsing Hytham Ek-Nakhal. Hytham is currently the deputy chair of the board, and again, in the year since he took that position, he has proved very capable and also carries deep institutional knowledge from a prolonged tenure on the board. I have found him to be fair, reasonable and willing to both have his views and debate the views of others in the search for a consensus approach. Hence, I strongly believe that his tenure on the board should continue.

On the Independent seat, here I am endorsing Mike Silber, who many of you know. I do not know if the current board member for this seat is going to be running again, but irrespective of that my endorsement will stand, due to specific skills I believe the AfriNIC board requires. Mike has many many years in the industry, and his work with ICANN and within the addressing space is well documented and well respected. In addition to that, Mike is legally trained and that is something we desperately need within AfriNIC as we look at the bylaws, as we move into an era where there is a governance committee, there are bids of control and various other issues. It is that legal skill set that we are missing directly on the board (yes, we have legal council, but it is a very different thing to have someone who has that kind of legal knowledge actually sitting on the board).

I need to also point out, in the event of the board losing both Sunday and Hytham, and the independent seat going to a weak candidate, AfriNIC will be in serious trouble. Firstly, I personally do not believe that the board has anyone who is anywhere close to as capable as Sunday or Hytham for the positions of chair and vice chair respectively, and whoever comes in could not take those positions no matter how strong, since those positions require institutional knowledge that comes from time served on the board. My reasoning for endorsing Mike is made plain above.

As such, for those of you who are opting to issue proxies and wish to issue proxies to myself or via myself, this is how I will be voting. Those of you who are voting electronically, I encourage you when the slate comes out to study each and every candidate – but I am confident that what I have said above will ring true, and I ask every member of this list to get out there and use your vote, either for one of these candidates or otherwise one of the others when the slate comes out – but please, make sure you vote, either via proxy or via online or in person. I cannot stress how many critical issues are going to come up in the next year or two, and without a strong and independent board we could face serious issues.

Please feel free to address any questions to me. As stated in previous emails, as soon as the proxy generation system is open, for those that wish to use that route, I will supply details on how to use it.

Thanks

Andrew