[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Borad Elections

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Wed Jul 3 13:26:52 UTC 2019

Hi Sami,

(re-sending because the previous email had a wrong from address)

> I see this email sent to individuals to support/campaign for some nominators (I'm not in agreement with all proposed names) who are among the public slat of AFRINIC candidates, IMHO any one is free to campaign. The undersigned signature represent the level of engagement of the sender in the community and gives the recipient more confident about her selection to the benefit of the community.

It also implies that those positions are relevant to the content of the message. I would be very surprised if some if those organisations mentioned agree with being drawn into an African election process. I'll be asking the RIPE delegates to the NRO AC about their involvement in this.

> This is too far from sponsoring youth and educate them in a way that may push them to support/oppose something.

Indeed. This is a strong indication of a conflict of interest, while the actions of an independent foundation are not.

> My personal signature as SUST employee did't mean my view i this email represent SUST!

Oh but it does. You are communicating using an official company template. If you are not speaking as an official representative you cannot use that template or you have to be very explicit that you are speaking only for yourself. Otherwise your message WILL be seen as a statement from an employee.

Cheers,
Sander