[Community-Discuss] The Looting of AFRINIC

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Dec 6 09:04:06 UTC 2019

Hi Sunday, all,

I’ve been in “internal conflict” myself, since I read the article. Let me tell why.

I met Ernest the first time around 2005, if I recall correctly. My first AFRINIC meeting was AFRINIC-2 in Maputo, Mozambique, and shortly after, during an ITU meeting in Geneva, Adiel asked me if I could contribute to the AFRINIC community coming to the next meetings and joining Ernest in his trips to do the Registration Services training so I do IPv6 trainings.

Sunday for sure can remember that when going for a training to Lagos, I was deported back to my country, because a mess created by the Madrid Nigerian consulate and thanks to the quick reaction from Sunday, I could resolve that on the next day and flight again to do the training.

My immediate response was, of course, I will be very happy doing that, and since them I lost tract in how many African countries, I’ve been doing those trainings and how many thousands of brothers have been able to take advantage of that.

The relevance of that is clear. I’d a close relation with Ernest (as well as with many other staff from all the RIRs). Traveling so much together, you get to know people, and we are talking here about almost 15 years. Of course, you may get a wrong impression, we all may have a hidden face. As humans, we all have positive and negative things. But I’m really shocked, I still resist to believe it.

I also believe that he is a smart guy. So, put yourself in the position of a smart guy that want to do something bad. Do you think you will use your own name for registering companies, or instead you will bribe someone,  may be a friend (but not family) to avoid your family name to appear in any documents? I feel this is really silly and non-understandable. So maybe somebody used him, which doesn’t mean he is still guilty “in vigilando” because he trusted anyone else, or something similar.

Do we believe in “presumption of innocence”? I do, despite documents. If you don’t know the complete background, documents may not be enough.

So, I will like to request to Ernest, to provide a clear explanation, and may be publicly recognize what (if any) have been his mistakes and involvement an all this.

Note that I’m not here defending anyone. I’ve no any personal interest. My only interest is to know the *real true* and I’m sure everybody agrees on that.

Note also that I’ve no doubts that the documents may be authentic, so no doubt about the good work and investigation done by Ronald and very thankful for that.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet