[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Faulty result for Western Africa in AfriNIC AGMM Elections

Arnaud AMELINA amelnaud at gmail.com
Tue May 29 21:56:03 UTC 2018

Dear Ashok as a lawyer you know that there is the law and spirit of the
law, please read bellow

> Dear All,
> I apologize for having  missed your rejoinder to my mail.

Despite the delays, we appreciate your response as the matter is of great
concern.

> Your first question regards the reason as to why the same principle has
> been applied to the election for Seat 2
> notwithstanding the fact that there were two candidates.
> My response is that an election cannot be run on different principles. In
> this particular election the option "none of the above " was
> introduced for the first time and everyone was aware of this and it
> applied to all the elections held on that day. The Election guidelines were
> amended to acomodate this option.

Yes indeed and the elections guidelines explicitely addressed the case of
only a single candidate running for election and the option " none of the
above" in this case got more votes than the sole candidate but is very
silent in the case of multiple candidates running for elections with the
option "none of the above" getting more votes.

Anytime elections involve the option "none of the above", there are always
clear rules on how the results are interpreted and the actions that must be
taken when the option "none of the above" get more votes than the multiple
candidates.

It's not my intention to teach you something here, but it does look very
bizarre that the legal counsel never bothered to help the board to make
 the guidelines unambiguous  and conform to members expectations.

> Consequently this option has to be taken in consideration when finalising
> the results.
> Where there were two candidates. The options for voters were (1) yes for
> candidate (1)-((2) yes for candidate 2-(3) yes for non of the above.Each
> one is mutually exclusive.
> Each score to be counted separately. The majority for either option wins
> the day.

Following  your reasoning above and the guidelines which say the candidate
with the highest votes win, the members and community should then accept
"none of the above" as the elected candidate and seated although "none of
the above " did not go through Nomcom and was not listed on the candidates
slates  published by Nomcom.

Which means seat 2 should not be declared vacant to be filled by board.

Filling  seat 2 by board would constitute the violation of "none  of the
above" rights and of our rules and thus expose us to legal litigation.

> One should not create a fictitious majority by adding votes polled by (1)
> & (2) together. The real majority was to all intents and purposes the
> option which polled the most votes. There is no need to extrapolate or
> interpret.

There is No fictitious majority being created. It was just an example of
how this case could have been interpreted just like you do have your own
interpretation.

In many cases,  abstention is compared to voters in order to decide how to
proceed with  validating an election and counting results..

> Where there was one candidate there were two options- Yes for the single
> candidate or yes for  "non of the above"

The case of a sole candidate is clear as per the guidelines and there are
no objections on seat 5 and 6 results.

> My reference to Art 10.2 was based on the decision of the members present
> at  past AGMMs to have the option of rejecting a single candidate or to
> give their approval to the single candidate, This has occurred more than
> once.

And once again,  the case of a single candidate is handled as members
agreed to and not debated

Thank you