[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Faulty result for Western Africa in AfriNIC AGMM Elections

Ashok ashok at afrinic.net
Fri May 25 11:18:38 UTC 2018

Dear All,
I apologize for having  missed your rejoinder to my mail.
Your first question regards the reason as to why the same principle has
been applied to the election for Seat 2
notwithstanding the fact that there were two candidates.
My response is that an election cannot be run on different principles.
In this particular election the option "none of the above " was
introduced for the first time and everyone was aware of this and it
applied to all the elections held on that day. The Election guidelines
were amended to acomodate this option.
Consequently this option has to be taken in consideration when
finalising the results.
Where there were two candidates. The options for voters were (1) yes for
candidate (1)-((2) yes for candidate 2-(3) yes for non of the above.Each
one is mutually exclusive.
Each score to be counted separately. The majority for either option wins
the day. One should not create a fictitious majority by adding votes
polled by (1) & (2) together. The real majority was to all intents and
purposes the option which polled the most votes. There is no need to
extrapolate or interpret.
Where there was one candidate there were two options- Yes for the single
candidate or yes for  "non of the above"
My reference to Art 10.2 was based on the decision of the members
present at  past AGMMs to have the option of rejecting a single
candidate or to give their approval to the single candidate, This has
occurred more than once.
Legal Counsel AFRINIC.