[Community-Discuss] No Update from AFRINIC HR and Administration since 2015

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Mar 13 15:34:33 UTC 2018

So,

I’ve now read this document over several times…. And having been involved in AfriNIC for so long – there are a few observations

Firstly – what’s contained in here is allegations – and allegations that while serious have not been proven in any way.  I do not believe though that anyone is in a position to judge the substance or lack thereof of what this contains from this document alone.
Secondly – With these allegations becoming public – and because of the potential reputational harm to AfriNIC – I do believe (and its just an opinion) that they warrant an investigation – and I honestly believe that said investigation to have _any_ credibility would have to be done entirely externally by a non-biased third party.
Thirdly – I would argue that the outcome of said investigation, while in normal situations in a normal corporate, would be dealt with internally, in this case should be published – in entirety.  The only reason I argue this is that, as members with allegations such as these being made that impact the reputation of _our_ organisation, I think this community has a right to answers.
Forth – The board has several choices to make here in my opinion

  1.  Ignore it and say nothing – I do not believe that is an option at this point – section 3.4.vii of the AfriNIC bylaws states: To disseminate among its members information on all matters affecting the Company and its members and to provide for and be a central channel of communication for the members of the Company and generally for the furtherance and promotion of their interests
     *   In the case above, I would argue that that an issue such as the one raised is very definitely a matter that could have material effect on the company, particularly in light of the fact that the individual seemingly making these allegations states they are asking for compensation – which would presumably be financial
  2.  Conduct a full investigation using an entirely external third party and resolve the matter – I would argue as I have above that in the interests of the transparency which we aspire to,  such a report should be public
  3.  Considering these allegations have now been made public – there is the option of testing them in a court of law and potentially suing for defamation (I’m not saying this is a good idea and I have no idea the legal implications of it)
  4.  The affected individuals could resign and call it a day – though for me personally – the only time that option would be acceptable would be in the case of the allegations being proven rather than exactly what they are right now – unproven allegations

But I will say – without an investigation and a proper report with proper findings conducted by an external party – I think it would be deeply premature of this community to judge in the absence of far stronger evidence than one document that is comprised of third hand information and allegations.  I also however believe that the board has a duty to the members and this community to respond in the face of allegations which could have material effect on the company.

Let us see what comes from an investigation – then let us judge – and again – let me be crystal clear- I am making no assumptions in saying this – and I am not defending any party or casting any blame.

Andrew