[Community-Discuss] Cotonou Meeting

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Fri Jun 22 05:08:51 UTC 2018

Noah,

If there was a way to transfer out right now - to be blunt - yes - with the current status quo I would  advise those I represent to use it. And on this I speak only for myself - as these are my opinions.

That stance may change, but first the board would need to make a lot of changes

- fix the corporate governance by explicitly agreeing to abide by the Mauritian code of corporate governance
- concentrate on the core business (allocating ips!)
- be willing to be transparent and take questions from your members at an agmm about how you spend their money - no matter how tough those questions are
- fix the allocation process so you aren’t spending weeks and months waiting for things
- as the owner of the domain and branding of Afrinic lists - accept the fact that as the board ultimate responsibility for enforcing code of conduct is yours - inclusive of the RPD list
- demonstrate to the members the benefits of what our money is spent on - cut the stuff that is of no benefit to the members - and then use the cost reduction to cut the fees
- change the so called registered member structure such that the registered members of the company are legal entities separate from the board - so that at least there are entities with real power to hold the board to account
Finally - some how deal with the geopolitical/linguistic divides that currently split the PDP down the centre and have this community argue based on hard data and researched facts rather than supposition, hyperbole and emotional sentiment - to reduce the business risk posed by this behavior.

Maybe if all that happened - my personal stance on this would change - but until then - I just see money going into a pit and very little of value flowing out of that pit.  So no Noah, this is not just about more value from the organization and about money - it’s about fixing the organization - it is about mitigating what I personally believe is currently a liability on companies in our region - it’s about ensuring that what money is spent - is spent for the benefit of members and the core mandate.

So Noah - not more value for the same money - a fixed organization with less deviation from core mandate that charges less.  (Also remember - if a product costs X and you triple the cost of it because it contains feature Y, if no one wants feature Y - your cost increase may end up putting you out of business)

Andrew

Liquid Telecommunications - Group Head Of IP Strategy