[Community-Discuss] Questioning - The AfriNIC voting system that disenfrachases most members

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sat Jun 2 17:24:40 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018, 6:32 a.m. Owen DeLong, <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2018, at 10:34 , Ornella GANKPA <honest1989 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> And members are saying "We are happy with the outcome" (I am, anyway). The
> only folk that should be commenting on this are the voting membership.
>
> Why is the former board member and board chair so nervous about the scope
> of this discussion?  This is a matter of concern for the community at
> large. This is not a remake of the elections. Or maybe,  it is time to
> listen to the other 1409 members who did not vote?
>

> If you chose not to vote, then really, you’ve effectively asked us not to
> listen to you.

Dear all,

The exchange above is from a different thread and I thought it would be
great to also discuss another challenge we face as members.

I dont believe that majority of AfriNIC members (90%) chose not to vote in
elections because most are disenfrachased by the AfriNIC voting system
which only allows members in good standing to vote which to me is pointless.

The fact of the matter is that NO single member ever seizes from being a
member before or after the various AfriNIC elections save for the members
whose membership has been terminated.

In fact I also think that most members dont even feel motivated to vote or
be involved in AfriNIC affaire because the organisation AfriNIC seems not
to give them the appetite or reason too.

I also tend to think that not so much outreach is done to sensitive members
about the importance of voting and how this affects the organisation that
serves then and I am not sure if this is done deliberately.

I have therefore never seen the rational behind the denial of the
opportunity to vote just because a member has delayed paying their annual
membership fees.

Penalties were introduced to cater for that purpose and the denial of
voting rights should not be an additional method of disenfrancising members.

We need to fix this so that the over 1000 members whose annual membership
payment either come in late for one reason or another can also have a voice
as they still remain members even after elections and indeed make the
payment inclusive of penalties.

Can the board task AfriNIC to reach out to its membership base with
information about;

1. Members rights to vote and why they do it.
2. The importance of nominating good candidates to the various leadership
positions.
3. The importance of participation in the PDP activities
4.The importance if querying the organisation performance in terms of
finance, human resources, service delivery among other things.

Cheers,
Noah