[Community-Discuss] Questions about AfriNIC Allocations

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Sun Dec 9 08:25:19 UTC 2018

The concern here is not about ISPs getting asns - it is deeper than that.

In order for the internet environment to thrive we need the potential for large scale interconnection that is predicated on companies having asns - and this includes enterprise customers across all sectors.

Interconnection and free traffic exchange is critical to the growth of the internet industry and our goals of getting to a majority of content being exchanged directly on the continent.  It is also critical to build the critical mass, a requirement to justify the investment in infrastructure such as data centers.

Yes while my stats were proven wrong, it still deeply concerns me that when I compare our asn allocation stats to that of lacnic (the closest comparison to where afrinic and Africa is out of the other RIRs - you find that our ASN allocation rate year by year for many years is essentially flat - we hit 150 to 160 allocated every year - but there is no compounded growth that you see in LACNIC where they are allocation well over a thousand asns a year and the allocation numbers have been growing each year.

It is also a concern to me that of the roughly 1600 asns allocated - of those less than 1200 are visible in the DFZ.

Andrew

Liquid Telecommunications - Group Head Of IP Strategy