[Community-Discuss] FW: For attention of the NRO and the boards of the respective RIR's

Chevalier du Borg virtual.borg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 03:56:56 UTC 2018

> In recent times, a full member of AFRINIC chose to table a vote of no
> confidence in the board of AFRINIC, to be heard at the upcoming AGMM
> meeting.  Now, irrespective of the reasons for the vote, it is my belief
> that any elected body should submit themselves to the will of the members
> and should a member choose to table such a vote, the board of an RIR should
> be willing to allow the vote to proceed – and to honor the outcome.

If relevant board procedue have been followed to table resolution, then i
support that resolution be table. Or maybe do an e-vote on the issue, i
don't see reason why it must wait till Dakar.

> Acknowledged by the board of AFRINIC and in an email to the members on the
> 27th of March the board of AFRINIC had actually agreed to table said
> resolution.  The board then chose on the 18th of April to withdraw this
> and state without any reason that the vote would not be tabled.

Board chair do say it can be on open mic. Not sure whether it is vote
during open mic or just another complain and then we ignore you session.

> It is not without reservation that I write this appeal, and it is a sad
> day, when myself, as a proud African, am turning to the rest of the world
> in such an appeal for help, but once we reach a situation where our elected
> representatives refuse to honor the precepts of the system, I see little
> recourse beyond this path.

Rather than call on these outside people who cannot really change anything
here, maybe membership should refuse to discuss on any other item until
vote issue is table and clear.

If member cannot do that, no other board, or NRO can really do nothing.

> and as has been acknowledged there is even a meeting between the AFRINIC
> board and the board of RIPE NCC scheduled to occur during the course of
> this event.

Instead of a 3 to 4 hour meeting once a year with RIPE board, which will
hardly accomplish anything, maybe AFRINIC should give it new board member
mandatory training in how a Directeur do their job and how that is measure.

>   I would say to the board of RIPE, and to the board members of the other
> RIR’s – please – be wary of lending legitimacy to a board that refuses to
> submit to a vote of no confidence by it’s members,

Legitimacy of AFRINIC board depend on AFRINIC community and member. Not
board of another RIR

--
Borg le Chevalier