[Community-Discuss] Enquiries/clarification

S Moonesamy sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Thu Oct 12 09:18:22 UTC 2017

Hi Owen,
At 03:50 PM 10-10-2017, Owen DeLong wrote:
>I believe that in general, an organization like an RIR which is
>managing resources on behalf of a community and serving as that
>community's representative in various external fora (ICANN, IGF,
>etc.) should be as transparent in all of its processes and dealings
>as possible. This means, IMHO, that unless there is a legitimate
>need for confidentiality (legal strategies in active litigation,
>staff salaries, personnel matters, etc.), information should
>generally be made available to the community by default.

Several years ago, well before transparent was a topic of interest,
an ex-IAB Chair explained why the IAB published information.  I'll
make a note of your comment about "by default" without commenting
about it.  Some of the examples which you provided are already
covered by the law; it may be different in other countries.

Is there any process which is not transparent?  If that is the case,
I am okay if you or anyone else wishes to raise it as an issue.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy