[Community-Discuss] Our Cameroon case as one case study in solving an Internet shutdown in a country.

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Wed May 31 15:46:27 UTC 2017

On 31 May 2017 at 17:57, Janvier NGNOULAYE <jnoulaye at gmail.com> wrote:

> My mail you quoted was to descrive the facts on the field at that time.
> And clarifications have been given with the statement we made  on the issue
> to those mailings lists.

You insult our intelligence by calling the following statement a fact.

"The government and other stakeholders in these 2 areas are looking for
suitable solutions. Meanwhile, the government has seen fit to cut these two
regions off Internet access and Western Union money transfer services, for
the sake of the entire population of these 2 regions."

It is not a fact by any definition of the word. And it's not something
expected from a former board member and active ISOC chapter president. The
discussions on the mailing lists of the chapter further support that
position and you did nothing to address it and make clear the position you
now pretend to espouse.

When a credible leader makes a mistake or believes he's being misconstrued,
he starts by starting that issue, then goes on to address that. You didn't
do that. That's what calls this whole charade of yours into question and
makes you unfit to lead this community.

If I have to explain to you that that email that you sent, the subsequent
act of deleting it from public and by not disclosing it with your email is
the crucial leadership and integrity issue at stake is a gross failure of
leadership judgement, it simply tells me you don't understand the basis of
trust.

> See attached for example the letter to the Minister.

You conveniently forget to state where this letter fits in the timeline of
events .... long after the ill-conceived email that you are want to sweep
under the carpet.

>  It is up to you to appreciate our actions on the field in the direction
> you want.

Yes, and the combination still points to

-  a lack leadership in this community
-  a lack integrity
-  failure to understand what advocacy means

These are characteristics unbecoming of a leader.

> The truth is that the Chapter is become a valuable multi-stakeolders among
> the ISP and other local Internet organizations in the country.

We do live in a world of alternative facts. There's some reality in which
that's true.

--

Mukom Akong T.

LinkedIn:Mukom <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mukom>  |  twitter:
@perfexcellent

“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran