[Community-Discuss] Incident between myself and Prof. Quaynor

Ornella GANKPA honest1989 at gmail.com
Mon May 29 12:22:29 UTC 2017

Dear community,

I would like to set the record straight with respect of this incident

This is a first-hand recount of the events because I was there.

In the evening of May 27, 2017, after the activities of the day of AIS,
Prof. Nii Quaynor and friends (including me) went to the bar at the Boma
Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya.

We were quietly enjoying our discussion, Andrew Alston came to the table
of Prof Nii Quaynor from behind him with a less than full bottle of the
beer and slammed it on table in front of Prof Nii Quaynor and while
going back to his table he added the following: "just in case you cannot
not afford a beer, this for you only".

This behavior from Mr Andrew Alston, an AfriNIC Board Member, is totally
unacceptable in all civilized societies in this world. Disrespect and
disobedience are not tolerated should never be tolerated in our community.

Whether Mr Andrew Alston likes it or not, he DOES represent the board
while he is at AIS especially being within the premise of the conference
and engaging community members. Should we expect this same behaviour
(getting drunk and disrespecting) from an AFRINIC board member at RIPE,
ARIN etc. meetings? Is it the
kind of representation AFRINIC wants worldwide?

Some Community Members sent mails to the Chairman of AfriNIC Board and
the CEO of AfriNIC to express their disapproval of this reckless
behavior and inviting them to take their responsibility by restoring
respect and dignity in our community.

Thank you,

Honest Ornella GANKPA

Le 29/05/2017 à 11:30, Andrew Alston a écrit :

> Hi All,
>

> On the night of Saturday the 27^th of May, 2017, while having drinks
> at the bar, after a week of intense pressure related to concerns about
> the event, and under the influence of a few beers, as a cultural
> gesture of reconciliation, I delivered a drink to Dr. Quaynor.  This
> is customary and is done as a show of reconciliation.
>

> However, when delivering that drink, it seems that I made a mistake
> with the words that I used and offense was taken.  This was not
> intended and for the offense caused, I offer an unreserved apology.  I
> also need to reiterate that anything said was in no way in my capacity
> as a board member, and was done on a personal basis.
>

> Again, if I have caused offense, I apologize and it was unintended.
>

> Yours Sincerely
>

> Andrew Alston

---