[Community-Discuss] Controversial anti-shutdown policy discussed at RIPE

Willy MANGA mangawilly at gmail.com
Mon May 15 07:33:08 UTC 2017

Hello Mark,

Le 14/05/2017 à 09:48, Mark Elkins a écrit :
> With regard to the damage a shutdown can do:
> [...]
> One Data Source we used was DomainTools:
> http://research.domaintools.com/statistics/tld-counts/

I'm curious to know how they collect their information .

> We repeated the exercise a week ago (6/7th May 2017) to see what had
> changed. As expected, almost all ccTLD Domain counts have increased and
> a handful have gone down by a very small margin.
>
> There was one glaring exception, Cameroon.
>
> November 2016:  63,023
>
> May 2017:             31,801
>
> That is, over the period of the Cameroon shutdown, the number of domains
> registered under .CM decreased by more than 50%

Let me doubt a bit on that numbers. Unfortunately I cannot speak on
behalf ANTIC (the .cm registry ) but I think it's much more what you
think. Trust me .
As of today,  it's higher than what you notice in november 2016 .

We can talk in private if you want.

--
Willy Manga
@ongolaboy