[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Annual Financial Statements 2016

Chevalier du Borg virtual.borg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 10:58:05 UTC 2017

> Colleagues
>
> At the same time it is very difficult to anyone to try and tease /
> extrapolate / imagine queries requiring responses from this list. Many
> questions asked here are rhetorical, others are hypothetical and others
> (with respect) do not even make sense. There is also a level of vitriol and
> assignment of blame that is not helpful.

True about some stupid question, but those are minority.

We trusts the people we have elect to board and the man board has selected
to be CEO to figure out the differences. After all, maturity is a key to
doing that jobs well.

> I would like to propose a formal process to do with community queries. I
> would like to propose the creation of a form or similar guide to actually
> direct queries raised to ensure that board and CEO actually know what is
> being asked, why and can provide a full response.
>
> This is not to “protect” the board and CEO, because the next step is to
> put in an SLA. Once we have a formal request submitted we can start
> measuring. We can also track outstanding issues. I would expect an SLA
> regarding acknowledgement of receipt, an SLA for triage (an answer if the
> request is simple, a refusal if appropriate or notification to the
> requestor regarding where the request has been assigned and when a response
> can be expected) and and SLA for a response.

I like this idea. But AFRINIC must post stat of that form every week? two
week? month to this list

-1- How many query?
-2- What categories e.g. 'PDP', 'Finance', 'Annual Report' etc etc
-3- Resolution
etc etc

 But before we put that form and internal procedure at AfriNIC, let me sure
this is someting community will love to see instead of just create another
channel to increase works on staff and kill public discussion. Afterall, is
that not reason this mailing list was create?

> Regards
>
> Mike
>
> On 24 Jun 2017, at 11:29, Badru Ntege <badru.ntege at nftconsult.com> wrote:
>
> Chevalier
>
> I like the way you have responded to this. If only someone was listening
> or reading from the other side
>
> Role of chair and CEO are more than title. They are roles with unique
> responsibilities.
>
> Regards
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 24 Jun 2017, at 07:12, Chevalier du Borg <virtual.borg at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> 1. Should Board and staff respond to all issues, and are they obliged to
>> do so?
>>

> if issue concern resources (which AFRINIC hold and manage on behalf of
> this community). yes we expect reponse, even if is to point to correct link
>

>> 2. Should Chair or CEO acknowledge all questions and routes to an
>> appropriate person?
>>

> if CEO and chair have not at this time understand what each should respond
> to, we have a problem.
> we expect answers about operational thing to come from CEO first. of
> course if CEO is not respond, the community can ask board chair intervention
> if you have to cordinate with CEO behind to get and answer, do it. what is
> NOT good is long period of silence to legitime question.
>

>> 3. Chair or CEO acknowledges all posts and provides an estimated response
>> time?.
>>

> will doing that help us community? or break us? is this common sense thing
> to do? with reasonable timeline?
> let not forget that this community has see many thing asked, ignored and
> buried.
>

>> 4. Should members explicitly address chair or CEO in discussions instead
>> of "can someone respond?"
>>

> See answer to no. 2 question
>

>> 5. Should members directly write Afrinic instead of posting urgent
>> questions on the mailing lists?
>>

> on thing that concern them directly - yes
> on thing that concern whole community - no
>

>> 6. Should Afrinic policy liaison monitors the lists and brings noteworthy
>> or urgent issues to the attention of the CEO as the case may be?
>>

> do we have to tell people how to do their job here?
> in any case this is community discuss, not RPD
> the big question: is an engage community something the company and board
> want? how does that happen and where?
>

>> 7. Should the chair always respond to all operational issues or extract
>> answers from the CEO and relay?
>>

> See answer to no. 2 question
>

>> 8. Are you addressing Chair, Board, Staff or all?
>>

>> It is important that I get you right. What do you suggest?
>>

> this is how an active community look like. we cannot have conversation
> with ourself so please give us respect of answer when we have questions.
> they must not be immediat, but at least engage.
>
> --
> Borg le Chevalier

Borg le Chevalier