[Community-Discuss] AFRINIC Annual Financial Statements 2016

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Sat Jun 17 08:53:35 UTC 2017

Hi Ali

On 17 Jun 2017, at 9:17 am, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke<mailto:ali at hussein.me.ke>> wrote:

All

Correct me if I'm correct - AFRINIC would fall under what we call critical national/continent assets/infrastructure right?

Right

If the above is correct then basically what McTim is suggesting is akin to saying you can only use roads or contribute to governance issues if you pay your taxes? :-)

Correct again this has been an issue over time and has been discussed this is the community / members discussion. In the early days we had one open discussion list for any community member to openly share and comment.  A few years ago this need to separate paying members, being those with resources and community members started with the AGM in Zambia where the compromise was community could attend the AGM as observers and not participants.

The escalation of two separate lists came 2-3 years ago where the community list was created and thus drawing a line between the community and paid up members.

Just being pedantic.. :-)

Seriously though, I raised this issue of Governance a few weeks ago and up until it is addressed comprehensively we will continue to have issues such as what Badru has raised.

We have a governance committee hopefully working on this but there could also be a component of leadership here

As the community I believe it would be unreasonable to expect the Board to respond to ALL queries promptly because sometimes it's operational issues and understandably they would need to consult with Management first. We need to set expectations - much like Service Level Agreements - and then adhere to them.

You are perfectly right here but an acknowledgement and promise to respond in due course is sufficient hopefully not from a robot :-)

I urge Management and Board to come up with such communication direction.

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad