[Community-Discuss] [AIS17 Announce] Our Cameroon case as one case study in solving an Internet shutdown in a country.

Tomslin Samme-Nlar mesumbeslin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 23:38:48 UTC 2017

Dear Janvier,
I noticed the following statement in your email:

"- in january 2017, I convened the Chapter board meeting to reacting
against that action of the government, that board meeting ended up with 2
main actions: - a) one statement in line with the ISOC vision,  *-b) and a
letter to the government through the Minister of telecommunications. You
can read that statement below, which had been sent to  various  mailing
lists. The 2 pages letter sent to the government mentionned the impact of
that shutting down on the national economy, with the advices,
recommandations and training tracks, to solve the issue for the sake of
every stakeolder.* (I can share that letter  to the government with you
inbox)"

Being a member of the Cameroon chapter, yet couldn't remember reading an
update to the community/members of action "*-b) and a letter to the
government through the Minister of telecommunications*" and the contents of
the letter
I went checking the chapter forum discussion threads if perhaps I had
missed that communication from the chapter leadership but found none.
Your last official update on this issue as president of the chapter was
on Feb 3, 2017 4:54 AM before the Internet was restored. In fact, I noted
that members were frustrated on the forum of the lack of any action by the
chapter (it appears now that there were actions like you've claimed but
which weren't communicated) which resulted to a member ceasing to be a
member of the chapter.

My question therefore to you is: Why wasn't this action, the letter and its
contents shared and communicated with chapter members?

Cheers,

----
Tomslin Samme-Nlar
*LinkedIn:* tomslin <https://www.linkedin.com/in/tomslin/> *| Twitter:*