[Community-Discuss] Requests and questions

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Fri Jul 14 09:49:56 UTC 2017

Hi Jackson,

It’s really simple – every entity at the moment that receives resources from AFRINIC relies on those resources to operate.  That means, anything that can threaten the RIR is a direct and untenable threat to the companies that rely on it for those resources – and that means – responsible businesses have a duty to understand the risks and make decisions based on those risks.

With regards to the work and the time – I point out – every board member travels to conferences on behalf of AFRINIC – for which this community gets no reports of what happens at those conferences or the benefit to the members.  I would argue that without those reports, it is easy to conclude that the time spent away from home for days at a time would be better spent mitigating risks to members and answering the direct questions about the members as regards potential risks and how to solve them.

When you volunteer for AFRINIC – you take on fiduciary duty – not a holiday – that duty includes ensuring the company is properly run and that the interests of the members, who fund the organization and who you represent are served – and that is what board members are there for.

Andrew

On 14/07/2017, 11:46, "Jackson Muthili" <jacksonmuthi at gmail.com> wrote:

    On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Andrew Alston
    <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:
    > Dear AfriNIC Board,
    >
    > I have been advised that when I had questions or request, that I put them in
    > simple, direct requests.  The following are a list of requests
    >
    > Can the board please commission an investigation into whether the lack of a
    > bi-directional transfer policy puts AFRINIC at risk of running afoul of the
    > Mauritius Companies Act of 2007, and in what areas, and exactly what the
    > potential liability is.
    > Can the board please advise the time frames required to commence such an
    > investigation, and once said investigation has been commissioned, advise on
    > the time frames to complete said investigation, and once concluded advise
    > the community of the full results of said investigation
    > Can the board please investigate if the proceedings of board sub-committees,
    > under Mauritian governance, form part of board proceedings, and if they do,
    > advise the community when the meetings of said proceedings shall be
    > published as per the agreement to publish the minutes of board meetings.
    > Can the board please commission an investigation into the limits that the
    > RSA can be modified without member consent in the context of Mauritian law
    > and advise the community of the results (Under Mauritian law, can a contract
    > be changed without the consent of both parties, to the detriment of one,
    > irrespective of what is already signed)
    > In addition to my request this morning on the members list requesting the
    > board to check if any procedures and policies required by any MOU to which
    > AFRINIC is a signatory are missing, can the board please investigate if
    > there are any policies, procedures or committees that are required by a.)
    > the CPM b.) The bylaws c.) the companies act d.) any other source which
    > binds the company and advise the community of a.) the time frames to
    > complete said investigation and b.) once known, the full list of outstanding
    > policies/procedures/committees and c.) the time frames to rectify these
    > areas.
    >
    > I look forward to hearing the results of the above.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Andrew Alston

    What problem are you trying to solve, exactly? Your attempts to pile
    so much work with unclear objectives on volunteers of an
    not-for-profit company that you claimed is struggling financially will
    stress those volunteers to the point where they will demand to be
    remunerated, further exacerbating the very financial situation the
    company is in.

    I would like to see a very clear problem that your above requests are
    aiming to solve,  if the problem is shared with others from the
    community, and if many agree that they warrant the extra work you are
    trying to put onto our volunteering board directors.

    Please if possible keep your replies concise not very long and wordy emails.