[Community-Discuss] "Fighting Internet Shutdown" - Any Role for AFRINIC?

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Fri Apr 21 13:10:28 UTC 2017

Hi Alan

The fact remains that running any sort of Internet business will always
require the local country's regulations of some sort which means the power
to regulate the cyber space remains with the government.

Meanwhile, the Internet has been restored in Cameroon as many of you might
be aware...... and the catch in that article is that the Government
reserves the right to use any measures in the future to avoid the internet
from causing or disrupting public disorder.

French version http://crtv.cm/fr/nouvelles/top-news-24/rgions-du-nord-
ouest-et-du-sud-ouest-les-connexions-internet-sont-rtablies--19138.htm

Noah

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net>
wrote:

> > On 20 Apr 2017, at 19:43, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I also point out that there is nothing in any AfriNIC policy that
> requires an entity that is requesting space to have a license of any form,
> unless I have missed it – it may be something being asked for – but it’s
> not in policy and it’s not in the bylaws to my knowledge.
>
> There’e nothing in policy or bylaws that requires any sort of licence.
> However, AFRINIC uses its best efforts to verify the information given in
> number resource requests, and asking to see relevant licences is often part
> of that.
>
> Alan Barrett

*./noah*