[Community-Discuss] "Fighting Internet Shutdown" - Any Role for AFRINIC?
ish at lsl.digital
Sun Apr 16 07:27:07 UTC 2017
On 04/16/2017 01:01 AM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
I was referring to the tweet you sent to the alleged president of ISOC MU.
> That meeting was held because the local chapter was dormant. I don't
> know what the local chapter has been doing since then.
>> In the previous email Alan Barett talked about the dual mandate of
>> AFRINIC; one of which is « to promote the development of the Internet ».
>> Is there any organization that promotes the development of the Internet
>> in Mauritius?
> Afrinic has done some training Mauritius as part of the mandate. There
> are issues related to the internet. Is your question about that?
Yes, there are several issues related to the internet like:
- the price difference of broadband 1M vs 10M in different parts of the
- the exorbitant price of broadband for business (except that Mauritius
Telecom has recently reviewed some of the packages)
- what if the government shuts down access to a newspaper website?
- the government is still helpless over gov.mu
- the .mu multi-stakeholder forum failed
- the ICT Act of Mauritius has an Internet Management Committee which is
- the ICT Authority is smeared in scandals
I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.
More information about the Community-Discuss