[Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment - quorum

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 12:55:44 UTC 2016

Sent from my LG G4
Kindly excuse brevity and typos

On 30 Sep 2016 13:25, "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:

> Hi Ashok,
>
> > On 30 Sep 2016, at 15:27, Ashok Radhakissoon <ashok at afrinic.net> wrote:

, and I have asked for the mailing list configuration to be changed so that
it does not automatically add a “Reply-To” header in future.

SO: I will suggest not to modify the list settings. Most of the time people
hit reply and their mails goes as PM. I think it's absolutely fine for a
community list like this to have a default response to the community. One
can always do a formal withdrawal OR be mindful of who he/she is replying
to before hitting the send button.

> > You are right in stating that the Company's Act takes precedence over
the bylaws.
> > I recall that after the Cairo election, the Community felt that
bringing a substantial number of proxies especially from a particular
region where AFRINIC membership was dense could not from a "community "
perspective give the best representation for the Africa regions.This is why
the limitation of the number of proxies was introduced and voted by the
community.
> > This provision of the bylaws would in no way withstand legal challenge
as suggested by
> > Andrew.
>
> Thank you for the advice.  I suggest that the limit on pnumber of proxies
should be removed.

SO: While a member should indeed be allowed to freely determine how they
want to exercise their rights(including who to serve as their proxy). One
may also want to consider other ways to encourage direct member
participation as that could improve diversity during members
meeting/discussion; especially towards contributions that may be made. It
will be good to see new faces and see actual members at our members meeting.

It may also be good to look at possibilities of allowing members to be able
to specify the scope of their proxy. For instance a member could say he/she
only wants the proxy to act during Board election and not during GC
election.

Regards