[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Accountability assessment - bylaws changes

sergekbk sergekbk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:00:24 UTC 2016

Hi Alan,

Since we are in the process of reviewing Bylaws, it makes sense to make  the GC part of the new Bylaws. Adding the GC to the bylaws would make the GC formation by a constitution and not by the wish of board.
This would eliminate the risk of board choosing to do away with GC by a board vote.
A governance and accountability commitment of Afrinic in its charter is in public interest.

With Regards.
Serge IlungaCell: +243814443160Skype: sergekbkR.D.Congo-------- Original message --------From: Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> Date: 09/22/2016  13:33  (GMT+01:00) To: General Discussions of AFRINIC <community-discuss at afrinic.net> Subject: Re: [Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] Accountability assessment	- bylaws changes

> On 22 Sep 2016, at 16:27, Arnaud AMELINA <amelnaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mr. Alan
>
> IHO , While you may not see a problem others might; and it may be wiser to ensure inclusion for transparency and accountability. Having 6 members of GC to guarantee regional participation is a good governance practice.

The Governance Committee terms of reference were decided many months ago.

But it’s still not too late.  When the Governance Committee startes work in January, it will use the current terms of reference, and there will be five voting members, but the GC will have the ability to suggest changes to its own terms of reference, so it will have tha ability to request an increase in its own size.

Alan Barrett